There are perhaps no days of our childhood we lived so fully as those we believe we left without having lived them, those we spent with a favorite book.
Welcome to Book Joy, my family’s blog dedicated to our shared love of reading books. We’re so glad you are here with us.
I’m the Joyful Reader: seasoned mom and devoted wife, voracious consumer of the written word, creative writer, joy-seeker, nature enthusiast, and tea snob.
- My favorite genres are: fiction, memoir, creative nonfiction, poetry, and Catholicism/spirituality.
- My favorite children’s books remain: The Velveteen Rabbit and Charlotte’s Web.
- Some of my favorite authors–old and new–include: Anne Lamott, Cynthia Rylant, Walt Whitman, Ralph Waldo Emerson, and Katherine Reay.
Our Bookworm Boy is presently half-way through his fifth grade year. An NFL football fanatic and Cleveland Browns’ devotee, he’s a creative mind and natural engineer. His favorite pastimes are: playing football, building Lego, making stop-action movies, drawing, and playing outside.
- Fiction and adventure stories are his favorite genres.
- He fondly recalls his favorite children’s books as: The Magic Treehouse series, Thomas the Train stories by the Rev. W. Awdry, Goodnight Moon, and The Going to Bed Book.
- Currently, his favorite authors are Tim Green and Nathan Hale.
The Bookworm Girl is a second-grader, and big believer in unicorns. An aspiring ballerina, she enjoys playing dolls, writing in her diary, drawing and creating, and hugs. She likes to pass her time away by dancing, reading, and playing outside.
- Her favorite children’s books include: Miss Lina’s Ballerinas, the Angelina Ballerina series, Lilly’s Chocolate Heart, Lola at the Library, and Olivia.
- Her favorite genre is fiction, and favorite author is Cynthia Rylant.
The Bookworm Babe attends preschool a few times per week. He plays hard, smiles brightly, and increases both the joy and energy level of our home. Following in his big brother’s footsteps, our littlest one is a Lego Duplo builder, puzzle fanatic, and train, truck, and car enthusiast. His favorite pastimes involve riding his balance bike, collecting sticks and rocks, watching PBS Kids, and being his older brother’s shadow.