There are perhaps no days of our childhood we lived so fully as those we believe we left without having lived them, those we spent with a favorite book.
Welcome to Book Joy, a family blog dedicated to our shared love of reading books. We’re so glad you are here with us.
I’m the Joyful Reader, a seasoned mom and devoted wife, voracious consumer of the written word, creative writer, joy-seeker, nature enthusiast, and tea snob. You can also find me blogging at Taking a Sad Song, Making it Better. My favorite genres are: fiction, memoir, creative nonfiction, poetry, and Catholicism/spirituality. My favorite children’s books remain: The Velveteen Rabbit and Charlotte’s Web. Some of my favorite authors include: Anne Lamott, Cynthia Rylant, Walt Whitman, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Ann Patchett, and Katherine Reay.
Bookworm Dad enjoys running, savoring a beer, and spending time with his family. His favorite genres are nonfiction (science, math, and running books), science fiction, and textbooks. As a child, his favorite stories were Goodnight Moon and Go, Dog Go! He’d say his favorite author is probably Robert Heinlein.
Bookworm Boy is presently a seventh grader. An NFL football fanatic and die-hard Cleveland Browns fan, he’s a creative mind and natural engineer. His favorite pastimes are: Boy Scouts, running, playing football, building Lego, making stop-motion movies, drawing, and playing outside. He’s the mastermind behind the blog, Brick Fanatick.
- Fiction and adventure stories are his favorite genres.
- He fondly recalls his favorite children’s books as: The Magic Treehouse series, Thomas the Train stories by the Rev. W. Awdry, Goodnight Moon, and The Going to Bed Book.
- Currently, his favorite authors are Tim Green, Nathan Hale, Alan Gratz.
The Bookworm Girl is now a fourth grader, and big believer in unicorns. An aspiring ballerina, she enjoys reading classics and books in a series, acrobatics, playing dolls, writing letters and in her diary, drawing and creating, and hugs. She likes to pass her time away by dancing, reading, and playing outside.
- Her favorite children’s books include: Miss Lina’s Ballerinas, the Angelina Ballerina series, Lilly’s Chocolate Heart, Lola at the Library, and Olivia.
- Her favorite genre is fiction, especially the classics, and her favorite authors are Laura Ingalls Wilder, Lucy Maud Montgomery, and Cynthia Rylant.
The Littlest Bookworm (formerly, Bookworm Babe) is now a Kindergartner. He plays hard, smiles brightly, and increases both the joy and energy level of our home. Our littlest one is a math whiz, crafter, Lego builder, puzzle fanatic, and train, truck, and car enthusiast. His favorite pastimes involve solving math equations, playing soccer and football in the yard, riding his bike, collecting sticks and rocks, watching PBS Kids, and being his older brother’s shadow.
- His favorite children’s books are: Chicka Chicka ABC, Nothing Ever Happens on My Block, Mouse Soup, and The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
- He enjoys most genres of books, especially silly stories and train tales.
- Eric Carle and Mo Willems are his favorite authors.
Affiliate links. We have a little shop through Bookshop.org. Some of our blog posts may contain affiliate links to the books we write about. We promise to always note when a post contains affiliate links which allows us the opportunity to make a small sum if you purchase books based on our recommended titles. Thank you for your support!